THE CHURCH of ST NICHOLAS, ARRINGTON
St Nicholas has just been awarded a 100% grant from the governments Listed Buildings of Worship - Roofing Fund, to cover conservation work shortly to start on the tower.
Details will appear in the Arrington Events page as well as the Arrington conservation pages of this site
St Nicholas is the Parish church of Arrington. It is the smallest church in the Orwell Group and serves a rural community of some 400 people. There are two regular Sunday services a month in the church, there is also one additional service in the Clifden Close Community rooms each month. Morning Prayer is said each Tuesday morning at 8.00 am.
The church is situated off the main road on one of the highest points in the village at the core of the former Late Anglo-Saxon settlement. The Roman road called Ermine Street has a significant effect on the community and became another the focus for village in the 17th century, largely centred around the Hardwicke Arms a former Coaching Inn. (click to contact - The Hardwicke Arms)
The Church in Arrington may have been founded by Aelfric a Saxon thegn or the earlier Theodred a Saxon bishop of London. A church was in existence around 1087 although the current building only dates to around 1250 -1300. It is a grade 1 listed building as it has a medieval chancel of the 13th century with all its original windows, a double piscina, priests door and low window. The Tower and the arcades of the Nave are also of this date, although the aisles have been removed. Recently the remains of a figurative wallpainting were uncovered at the west end which also appears to date from the 13th century.
Arrington is unusual for this part of Cambridgeshire in having a small spire and the only church in the benefice with such a spire. This was built in 1750 by one of the carpenters who was employed in the re-building of Wimpole Hall.
The church is normally open each day from 09.00am and will close around 04.00pm. However during the summer months (British Summer time) it will close later around 6.00pm The churchyard is open at all reasonable times. The churchyard is also being managed to offer a habitat for wild plants and flowers.
The church is able to consume very little energy and is better than best practice for its Carbon footprint. It is also a Fairtrade church.
The church aims to maintain the worship of God and to serve the spread of his love and word through the teachings, example and inspiration of Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit, throughout the whole parish and to all its peoples. Furthermore, it will integrate its workings within the focus of the mission of the United Benefice of Arrington Barrington, Croydon, Orwell and Wimpole
There is limited parking in the lay-by outside the church and on Church Lane. Access is via a steep path up from Church Lane. Stepped access down into the church and steps up within the church. We have large print service and hymn books. We would welcome guide dogs for those with visual and hearing impairments. No toilets. There is heating and there are guide books/leaflets. FairTrade coffee and tea is provided after the morning service.
Due to the number of people that suffer from Red wine allergies Arrington's Communion wine is of the golden type and is also Fairtrade sourced.
this page and its Links updated 04.05.17