THE CHURCH of ST ANDREW
Set on a steep rise on the northern edge of the village, the church was mainly built in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries although traces remain of a nave without aisles built c1150. The chancel was rebuilt in 1398 in memory of Sir Simon Burley, Lord of the manor of Orwell and tutor to the youthful Richard II. It was restored and virtually rebuilt in 1883.
The tower was built c1250 followed by the arcades and aisles c1320. The north aisle in white brick and stone is mid nineteenth century.
Also of particular note is the memorial in the chancel to a former rector Jeremiah Radcliffe who was part of the team of scholars who translated the Authorised Version of the Bible.
The East Window is a fine example of work by Leonard Evitts.
Parts of the church date back to the 12th Century and the church has many intersting historical and social points of interest.
The fine East window (designed by Leonard Evetts in 1958) portrays life of St Andrew.
The chancel is a fine perpendicular style dated 1480.
There is an interesting sculpture fragment - rediscovered in the late 19th century during restoration and rebuilding - of the crucifixion with St John dated 1300.
There is a fine peal of Eight Bells (augmented in 1998 with a grant from the millennium project). Practise night is Tuesday.
The church is open on a daily basis from 9.00am and closes in the evening at dusk. The churchyard is open at all reasonable times.
The process of preparing our Mission Action Plan led us to feel that we should be:-
Looking out - our mission to the wider community
Looking in - building up the fellowship of the faith community so that we can with confidence enact our Mission Action Plan
Looking up - in prayer and worship so that our faith is sustained and strengthened
Street Parking only. Stepped access up to churchyard and into church and within the church (Nave to Chancel). Large Print service and hymn books. We welcome guide dogs for those with visual and hearing impairments although no loop at present. Heated. No toilets. Tea and Coffee served after morning Eucharist.
John Walford (Tel: 01223-208808) and Paddy Ward (Tel: 01223 208852)
this page and Links updated 08.05.17